[dinifti] DICOM header information imported to nifti files

Valerio Luccio valerio.luccio at nyu.edu
Fri Oct 30 11:59:41 EDT 2009

Estephan Moana wrote:
> Hello dinifti experts,
>
> I have been using the dinifti tool quite often and it works perfectly.
> One thing I noticed recently is that after file conversion, the nifti
> files created have not all the information contained in the DICOM
> files header. I was wondering:
>
>    1. What information is pulled from the DICOM files to the nifti
>       files created?
>    2. Is there a way for me to determine which DICOM header info is
>       exported to the nifti files?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Estephan Moana, DDS
> Graduate Student
> Oral Biology PhD Program - Neurobiology track
> School of Dentistry, UNC- Chapel Hill
> 2140 Old Dental Building, CB# 7455
> Chapel Hill, NC 27599
> Phone: (919) 966-5680  Fax: (919) 966-5339
> moana at email.unc.edu

Dear Estephan,
sorry for the delay in replying, but you're not subscribed to the list
(you really should), therefore the message bounced and was lost amid the
spam.

dinifti fills the fields required by NIfTI (see documentation at
http://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/nifti-1/) and there is not necessarily a
one-to-one correspondence between DICOM fields and NIfTI fields. That
said, I guess I should make a list of the DICOM fields that are used
(either directly or in some algorithm to get the NIfTI field) and add it
to the documentation, both as a separate text file and as part of the
man page. I'm not sure how quickly I can get to it.

--
Valerio Luccio			(212) 998-8736
Center for Brain Imaging	4 Washington Place, Room 156

         "In an open world, who needs windows or gates?"