[CBIAnnounce] CBI seminar this Friday

Swetha Shankar swetha at nyu.edu
Wed Nov 2 14:28:34 EDT 2016

Hello everybody,

Please join us this Friday, Nov 4 to hear Jon Winawer talk about

*Neuronal synchrony and the relation between the BOLD response and the
local field potential*

The abstract is below.

Date: Nov 4
Time: 3 pm
Place: 551 Meyer

******

The most widespread measures of human brain activity are the blood oxygen
level dependent (BOLD) signal and surface field potential. These
measures provide
complementary information about human brain activity. To develop an
understanding of how to interpret these signals, we developed a model of
(a) neuronal population responses, and (b) transformations from neuronal
potential. Rather than seeking a transformation between signals directly,
this approach interprets each measure with respect to the underlying
neuronal population responses. Our model accounts for the relationship
between BOLD and ECoG data from human visual cortex (V1-V3), matching in
three ways: BOLD and ECoG broadband were positively correlated, BOLD and
alpha (8-13Hz) were negatively correlated, and BOLD and narrowband gamma
(30-80Hz) did not correlate. We infer that features of the field potential
that are uncorrelated with BOLD arise largely from changes in synchrony,
rather than level, of neuronal activity.