[CBIAnnounce] Fwd: [NYU Data Science] Fwd: RSS - Ashish Raj - Invitation

Pablo Velasco pablo.velasco at nyu.edu
Tue Jul 29 09:45:40 EDT 2014

FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eero Simoncelli <eero.simoncelli at nyu.edu>
Date: Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Subject: Fwd: [NYU Data Science] Fwd: RSS - Ashish Raj - Invitation
To: cns.events at cns.nyu.edu

Dear Colleagues,
This may be of interest to some of you:

From: "Claudio T. Silva" <csilva at nyu.edu>
Subject: [NYU Data Science] Fwd: RSS - Ashish Raj - Invitation
Date: 28 July2014 at 3:12:43 PM EDT
To: datascience-pull-push at cs.nyu.edu

Please join us on Aug 1, at 12:00 PM for a research seminar and
discussion with Ashish Raj from Cornell Medical School.

Abstract:
Whole brain connectivity networks are now routinely derived from
diffusion MRI, followed by tractography and connectivity
estimation. Functional connectivity networks can also be obtained
from functional MRI data, where connectivity between any two
brain regions is defined by the statistical covariance between
their respective neuronal signals, typically measured by
functional MRI scans. Graph theory methods applied to these
networks allow us to interrogate various network-level features
of both healthy and diseased brains. In this talk I will show
that:

a) Connectivity networks from diffusion MRI reveal hierarchical
but hub-free organization in the brain
b) A simple model of network spread, graph diffusion, captures
the relationship between functional networks (i.e. obtained from
covariance structure of neuronal activity) and structural
networks (from fiber tracts)
c) Graph diffusion processes can reproduce the spatiotemporal
spread of neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s,
dementia, Parkinson’s and epilepsy.

These results point to the breadth and importance of graph theory
and network modeling in neuroscience and neurology. I will
finish by pointing to some open questions in the field that could
benefit from graphbased filtering or other graph theoretic
approaches.
Bio: I am Associate Professor of Computer Science in Radiology
and Co-Director of IDEAL, both at Weill Cornell Department of
Radiology. I graduated with a PhD in 2005 from Cornell University
in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I have more than 40
journal papers ranging from microwave engineering,
superconductivity, image/signal processing, vision, graph theory
and neuroscience. My current research encompasses many
computational problems in NEUROIMAGING, particularly the modeling
of dementias using graph theory. We extract brain networks from
neuroimaging data like Diffusion Tendor Imaging, functional MRI
and MRI brain morphometry. The goal is to find network
characteristics that distinguish healthy brains from pathological
brains for a number of brain disorders like Alzheimer's,
Epilepsy, Autism, Schizophrenia and Stroke.

Aug 1, 2014, 12:00 pm
Jacobs Seminar Room
Center for Urban Science and Progress
New York University
1 Metrotech Center, 19th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201

To RSVP: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DYKNZSC

About CUSP

The Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is a unique
public-private research center of NYU that uses New York City
as its laboratory and classroom to help cities around the world
become more productive, livable, equitable, and resilient. CUSP
observes, analyzes, and models cities to optimize outcomes,
prototype new solutions, formalize new tools and processes, and
develop new expertise/experts. The CUSP research seminars aim
to promote an intellectual community around urban informatics,
an intrinsically multidisciplinary field, by facilitating
discussions on various research topics related to the
intersection of big data and urban planning.

Please send inquiries to abhishekgupta at nyu.edu