[CBIAnnounce] Path Analysis Workshop: May 3

Ed Vessel ed.vessel at nyu.edu
Fri Apr 26 19:27:39 EDT 2013

WORKSHOP
fMRI path analysis: Going beyond the blobs.

Friday May 3, 2013
10am - 3pm
Meyer 551 (6 Washington Pl.)

RSVP REQUIRED (see below)

In this workshop we will present two complementary analyses that aim to go beyond standard fMRI analyses, to establish causal relationships in regional interactions (DCM) or relationships between experimental manipulations, brain responses, and measured behavior within or across individuals (mediation analysis). We will first discuss the theoretical background, including the notion of 'causal' in each approach. After a break, we will follow this with practical demonstration of both methods.  This workshop is aimed to be accessible for complete novices but will also be of interest for people who have used DCM or mediation analysis before. We will end with a discussion on the respective merits of each of these tools, and the experimental questions they allow us to answer.

Morning Session: Theoretical background on DCM and Mediation Analysis
Afternoon Session: Practical demonstrations of DCM and Mediation Analysis

Presenters:
Lauren Atlas completed her PhD with Tor Wager at Columbia University is currently a postdoctoral fellow with Liz Phelps. She focuses on the effects of expectancy on pain and emotion. She has extensive experience with mediation analysis for fMRI.

Hanneke den Ouden completed her PhD with Klaas Stephan and Karl Friston at University College London and is currently in a joint postdoctoral fellow working with  Nathaniel Daw, and with Roshan Cools at the Donders Institute, Nijmegen, the Netherlands. She is interested in the role of serotonin and dopamine in motivation and action, and has extensive experience working with DCM, especially in the context of the role of striatal gating of cortical processes.

* IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING please send your name, email address, lab affiliation and position (e.g. graduate, postdoc, etc.) to ed.vessel at nyu.edu.  Seating is limited, and preference will be given to members of labs directly affiliated with the NYU Center for Brain Imaging.

Co-sponsored by the Center for Brain Imaging, the Phelps Lab and the Daw Lab of the NYU Psychology Department.

--
Ed Vessel
Center for Brain Imaging
ed.vessel at nyu.edu