[CBIAnnounce] Special CBI Seminar: Dr. Jozien Goense

Ed Vessel ed.vessel at nyu.edu
Wed Nov 21 13:24:13 EST 2012

We have added a special seminar to our user group meetings next Friday Nov.
30.  Dr. Goense will be giving a talk on Wednesday as well, but this talk
will be more focused on the methods and challenges of performing fMRI at
high field on monkeys.

PLEASE NOTE THE ROOM CHANGE . . . we will not meet in 815, but on the 4th
floor of Meyer.

CBI User Group Seminar Series
Friday November 30
3 - 4:30pm
Meyer 482

fMRI of the non-human primate visual cortex and temporal lobe at 7T

Dr. Jozien Goense
Max‐Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics
Tübingen, Germany

Non-human primate fMRI can provide a much-needed link between
electrophysiology in macaques and fMRI in humans. In this talk I will
discuss our fMRI studies in the visual cortex and medial temporal lobe of
awake and anesthetized macaque monkeys. Monkey fMRI differs in two
important ways from human fMRI. 1: the smaller monkey brain necessitates
higher spatial resolution, which we solve by scanning at high field and by
RF-hardware optimization. 2: animal motion causes large artifacts in awake
monkey fMRI. The latter requires specific behavioral paradigms, sequence
optimization and optimization of the data-processing pipeline. I will
discuss the challenges we encountered in scanning awake and anesthetized
monkeys at 7T and our solutions, with emphasis on fMRI in the inferior- and
medial temporal lobe.

Related papers:
Ku S-P, Tolias AS, Logothetis NK, Goense J (2011) fMRI of the
face-processing network in the ventral temporal lobe of the macaque. Neuron
70(2): 352-362
Goense J, Logothetis NK, Merkle H (2010) Flexible, phase-matched, linear
receive arrays for high-field MRI in monkeys. Magnetic Resonance Imaging
28(8): 1183-1191
Goense JBM, Whittingstall K, Logothetis NK (2010) Functional magnetic
resonance imaging of awake behaving macaques. Methods 50(3): 178-188
Goense JBM, Ku S-P, Merkle H, Tolias AS, Logothetis NK (2008) fMRI of the
temporal lobe of the awake monkey at 7T. NeuroImage 39(3): 1081-1093

--
Ed Vessel
Center for Brain Imaging
ed.vessel at nyu.edu