[CBIAnnounce] REMINDER: CBI User Meeting today, 3pm

Ed Vessel ed.vessel at nyu.edu
Fri May 4 11:27:27 EDT 2012

CBI User Meeting
Friday May 4, 3pm
Meyer 815

Jay Van Bavel
Assistant Professor of Social Psychology

The flexibility of social evaluation: Dissociating moral, hedonic and pragmatic modes of evaluation

Dual process models are the dominant paradigm for understanding a wide range of psychological phenomenon, from attitudes to morality. Many of these models characterize the human mind as possessing discrete processes in which an automatic evaluation guides behavior unless controlled processes intervene. In contrast, much of the work in our lab assumes that the subset of widely distributed and interactive processes recruited during evaluation differs as a function of ones goals and context. In the current research, we present evidence showing how these evaluative goals shape the process and consequences of evaluation—independent of stimuli. I will present a combination of behavioral and neuroimaging data showing that moral evaluations are faster, more extreme and more universally prescriptive than hedonic or pragmatic evaluations of the same actions and that different modes of evaluation recruit distinct neural substrates. These results suggest that people can switch back-and-forth between different modes of evaluations in a relatively flexible fashion and that evaluating the same actions in moral, hedonic or pragmatic terms elicits different evaluative processes and leads to different behavior.

--
Ed Vessel
Center for Brain Imaging
ed.vessel at nyu.edu